Thursday, January 15, 2009

it-it-it's co-co-ol-ol-dddddd!!!

HELLO fellow classmates, Miss Pollock, and other viewer's.
This assignment (#5) is thinking about how the early settlers came to Canada. They didn't have any warm mittens , hats, boots or scarf's and stayed in Canada during the cold winters. How can the early settlers survive with no warm winter clothing?

We have to do research how early Canadians survived, and use a few links our teacher miss Pollock gave us. We have to Discuss some of the challenges early Canadians had to face due to the coldness of winter and we have to think about the things people need in order to survive and consider whether it was more difficult to get these
things in winter.
Then we:
-Write about how early Canadians learned to deal with the extreme cold
-Find out and write about how and why your family came to Canada
-Find out and write about how your family learned to deal with the extreme cold
-In your entry, include links to sites where you found your information, and quote at least two of the pieces of information you learned.

IT-IT-IT'S CO-CO-OL-OL-DDDDD!!!!!

Yes,it sure is cold here in Canada, a few days a go it was -40 with the windshield and if you stayed outside even for 10 minuets, you would get frostbite,Yikes!I wonder how in the world ,the first settlers survive in our cold winters, and settled: by making a house, jobs, traveled, Clothing wise and much more.


Why did immigrants want to come to Canada and settle here in the first place?


Immigrants wanted to come to Canada because the government had control over their way of living in their country,and they were not aloud to do a lot of things,and have a lot of freedom. There was also no jobs that payed good, so people were very poor. Some families were so poor that they can barley survive. As I mentioned people were not aloud to do much, but they were also forced to do things as well, the men had to serve in the army even if they didn't want to. Also cities were overcrowded, and were very dirty and polluted. Once everyone herd the government of CANADA was offering those settlers willing to settle on the prairie, free land,some people stated making there way to Canada. For many settles ,moving to Canada was an excellent opportunity to own their own land, and have a better lifestyle. "Some also moved to Canada because Canada had plenty of jobs available. Other's immigrated hoping to make money and buy land or start up a business."
All those things I know were sad, how people were forced to do things they didn't want to and many were on the edge of dieing. I think all of those settlers who decided to move to Canada made the right choice, also they were really brave to come to unknown land, and start living there life's, in this new country.


Arriving in the new country:

Once settlers arrived in Canada they could not go on and start to settle. "They were given medicals and their travel papers were checked over. During this time, they stayed in large buildings called immigration halls. Their next journey was by train to the prairies."
After settlers had to travel in train cars that were called " Colonial Cars."The journey was from Quebec to western Canada and it took about 4 to 6 days to reach there destination. A lot of the time trains had no heat and were overcrowded with people, they must have felt like they were back in the country, but hopefully they won't fell like that for long. While traveling there was a lot of delays, and
Passengers had to bring their own food, or buy food during the trip. Then after the rough trip they had reach there destination. Families unloaded all there items and bought all the things they would need to start there settlement.

Transportation: Once people got horses some also got a covered wagon. I covered wagon, was the only transportation back then besides walking, and by horse,and it could also transport more than one person,not like riding a horse, and Carrie multiple items.

This picture is from a pageant ( Little house in the prairie),of a covered wagon.




Building a home:
Some settlers started to live in a tent, until they could afford, or until they got the materials they needed to make there sod house and barn. Once settlers found the land they wanted to build their house on, and start there wheat crop they got right to work,it took many days of hard work until everything was ready. Winter was tough for pioneers because heat was not invented yet. They had to warm up by the stove, and use candle light at night. Some time food was a problem in the winter because it was hard for people to find animals to hunt. We are very lucky that now we have heat in our homes and lots of food to keep us satisfied in the winter time. Some time it was hard to get to the store to buy things they needed in the winter, as you know they had to walk and some time it would be several km's to get there and with the winter it was even more difficult. We are again very lucky we have cars now, it is still sometimes difficult to get to the store, but a lot easier than back then.



This picture is an example of a sod house, pioneers lived in.

School's:
Back then to get to a place you had to either walk or take the horse as I mentioned before. So when children had to go to school in the winter it was really changing, because they had to walk, now a lot of students get driven to school or take the bus. Children sometimes couldn't go to school because of blizzards, or bad weather conditions, some children if they had a mother who used to be a school teacher could teach them. There were not that many variety of jobs back then, and for women a school teacher was a good job, and one of the only jobs.


my families Generations

My family has been in Canada for the past 2 generations.

My mother was born in Ottawa, My father was born in Calgary,Alberta.
My Grandma on my Father's side was born in Montreal, My grandpa on my father's side was born in New York. My Grandmother on my Mother's side was born in ottawa,and my Grandpa on my Mother's side was born in Ottawa. So as you can see both my mom and dad were born in Canada , and most of my grandparents were born in Canada, expert for my Grandpa born in New York. My great grandparents on my mom's side were Canadian, and my great grand parents on my father's side were Canadian and American,Unfortunately they are no longer with us today, but I have herd wonderful stories about them.
This is were it gets interesting. Some people may have herd that I am a mix of a lot of Countries, but from what you read so far I am only Canadian, and a part American.
Well that's because my great great grand parents are all from different countries. Well let's start with my grandpa's parents on my dad's side. His father was from Russia and his mother was from Poland. My grandma's, mother was from England and her father was from Germany. Now my grandpa's parents on my mother's side was from china, and his mother was French Canadian. My grandma on my mother's side parents are from Scotland. I hope that was no to confusing for you.

How my family traveled to Canada and why(including with some points how they survived the cold winter's)

My grandpa(on my father's side)- He left the U.S. in his early adult years by himself and came to Canada because he didn't like the bad things that were happing in the states at the time. He disied to come to Canada because he herd it was a really nice place, and it was a pretty similar environment to were he was living in new York. He had a good life in Canada,he found a beautiful Young women that he found to his likings and actually got married to her and they had 2 kids,he also had 2 photography business.


My great great grandparents came to Canada because they wanted a better place to raise their children and for their children to have a good education. They had to come by boat to get here,and it probably took them a longer time because boats don't go that fast. It was really hard for some people to travel when it was winter time, including my Grandpa's parents on my mom's side. They had keep warm by staying close together huddled.


Where I got my information:

As a know it is important to show where you found your information so here is all the things i used:
~http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/settlers6.html

~http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/settlers5.html

~http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/settlers2

~
http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/settlers1.html

Those are all from the same site, but are different pages on the site.

~ little house books, I read a series called the little house books, they are a true story about a pioneer girl growing up. There are 9 books in the series. I used my knowledge from reading those and I looked in them if I needed to check something in the books.

~I hoped you enjoyed reading my jornal entry, and always fell free to replay to my entries and tell me your opions on it, things you liked about it, things you think i should improve on, a question you might have, or anything!

~Don't miss out on my history quiz i just posted up. I will be adding more quizzes and activites shortly,anyways bye for now and happy blogging.

~ Sarah ( Whippy)

3 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Hey everyone!
Miss pollock, you can read the blog entry i did but i might add things to it or take a part out of it before wednsday when it's due. Just letting you know,

~Whippy

LEMONS HEAL said...

Hey Sarah!
I really like your assignment!

Umm... its kind of confusing though, try spell checking it!

Other wise, good job!

Unknown said...

Like the story about how your family came to Canada and the info about the settler's life. Keep up the good work!